Monday, December 27, 2010

Lemon-Berry:: Chapter 10


Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house not a Trifle was sleeping, not even the mouse!
That’s right it’s Christmas Eve at the Trifle house, and I was taking care of our three newest members, Swirl, Mango and Lace. Mandarin, Spring, and Frazzle are just setting up the tree and making the house all Christmasy, while I am sitting on the couch and relaxing.










The stocking were hung by the chimney with care, in the hopes that St. Jello soon would be there.
“Don’t put that there!” Spring yelled at the boys. Spring was in charge this year for decorating the house, and she was taking it quite seriously.

“Why not? I think it would fit there!” Frazzle whined, “Mooom tell her that the stocking doesn’t have to go on the fireplace!”

“Mooom tell Frazzle to listen to me!”

“Mandarin this is your problem!” I yelled. Lately Spring and Frazzle have been getting on my nerves. I mean they are quite the children, but the constant whining....it’s quite annoying.

“Both of you quit it! Spring Frazzle can put the stocking there if he wants to, there is no rule book saying where you can and cannot put a stocking!”

“Fine dad...whatever you say.”





 

The children were not snuggled all in their beds, instead they called all of their friends.
“Mom can Chowder come over today please? And Auntie Ginger and Uncle Tangerine too!” Frazzle begged.

“Did you not think once that I already invited them over today Frazzle? I laughed as he jumped for joy and rubbed it in Spring’s face.
Soon enough Spring came over...

“Mom since Chowder is coming over then can Kristi come over too? With her family, Please mom please!” her face said it all...I couldn’t disappoint her, and I didn’t want him stepping into my house again.

Reluctantly I said yes, “Sure...why don’t you call them up and we could all celebrate Christmas together.”





And Mandarin in his sweater, and I in mine had just settled our brains for a long night’s dispute.
“What’s wrong Lemon?” Mandarin put his arms around me.

“So...Spring wanted Kristi to come over...and I let her, though that’s not the problem...Wafer is...he is going to be here too, and that isn’t going to turn out well.”

“You mean Spring’s real dad? Does she know about him?”

“Yes her real dad, and no...he knows about her though and last time I went over to their house he told me he didn’t want to be involved with her.” Tears started to stream down my cheek.

“It’s going to be alright hun...” he grabbed me in a embrace.






When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter, I sprang from my room to see what was the matter.
Spring answered the door and in came Ginger and Tangerine . Not too far behind was Kristi, Wafer’s wife, and Wafer. I greeted them all at the door.
“Come in everyone! Nice to see you all again!” I hugged Tangerine and Ginger and messed up Chowder’s hair.

“Hi Kristi! Hi Mr. and Mrs. Biscotti!” Spring waved.

“Where is Chowder Auntie Ginger?” Frazzle asked.

“Oh he is at his grandma’s for Christmas, he told me to tell you Merry Christmas!”
Soon they all walked in and sat on the couch, and the awkwardness arose in the room....


 
Away from the living room I flew like a flash, while bumping into Frazzle and getting stuck in a stash.
“Why do you guys look so alike?” Frazzle asked the girls.

“That’s because we are sisters!” they said in unison. My hear t immediately did a flip, Oh no no no how did they find out? Wafer told him he must’ve! Quickly anger rushed through me.

“You guys are sisters!”Frazzle’s eyes grew wide.

“We are not really sisters, we just act like it,” Kristi laughed.
Oh thank the heavens once again!





The moon was clear since there was no new- fallen snow, though in the house we struck a blow
The kids were downstairs fooling around, while the men were outside trying to assemble the Christmas present we bought Frazzle. That left me with Ginger, and Cotton.
“I can’t believe we don’t have snow,” Ginger frowned.

“Well the weather man said it was not likely to happen,” Ginger sighed. I think I just saw her eyes roll... I’m not surprised that Wafer decided to marry her.

“Well that’s too bad....” I played along.

“You know what Lemon,” Cotton scooted towards the edge of her seat, “Spring and Kristi look very alike, I have never noticed!” she laughed.

Was she really kidding me? She had no idea that Spring is her....stepdaughter? I guess Wafer did keep me a secret from her. This man makes my blood boil!

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear, But Spring and Kristi, and their two little teddy bears.
“What are you guys talking about? Kristi asked.

“We were talking about you and how you and Spring look alike,” Cotton spoke. I wish I could have knocked her out then and there, I did not want Spring pondering this thought.

“Cookie anyone?” I asked as I arose from the living room. Ginger followed me into the kitchen and took my hand.

“Are you ok Lemon? You look a little jumpy today.”

“No I’m not ok, I didn’t even want the Biscotti’s over today, but Spring insisted,” I looked over to her, and she seemed so happy with Kristi.

“Well you could have said no, you are the mom, and Mandarin is the dad end of story.” If only it was like that, but it wasn’t she had no clue what was going on between the Biscotti’s and I. I had to tell her but now was not the time to share the stories. It’s the season to be jolly after all.

“Actually Ginger I have something to tell you, but I can’t speak of it now, another time perhaps.”

“Whenever you are ready darling, oh could you go call Frazzle I think they guys are done with the surprise,” she smiled.





With a little old leap and a loud hello, Frazzle surely thought it must’ve been St. Jello
Frazzle was very excited when he saw his brand new play set. Mandarin had told me he wanted to buy one for Spring but I knew she would not want it. Frazzle ran to the set and started playing.
“Thank you! Thank you!” he shouted from the top of the set.

“Don’t fall off!” Tangerine warned.

I looked over to Spring and she didn’t look so satisfied. She must’ve been jealous but I had a trick up my sleeve for her. 




More rapid than eagles she flew, she whistled and laughed and thanked us by name.
“Oh thank you, mom I love my new room!” She pranced around the room touching everything that came into her reach.

“I love your new room!” Kristi laughed. She joined Spring and explored the room we made her. Spring had been constantly complaining that her room was too kiddie for her. So Mandarin and I thought that this would be the perfect chance to make her a new room.











Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!”
We all had supper and we could tell the kids were getting tired. They all left one by one wishing us a Merry Christmas. When everyone left Mandarin started to clean up the mess which was left behind. I tucked in Frazzle and then walked into Spring’s room. She was sitting on her laptop busily typing away.
“What are you doing hon?” I asked as I sat down on her bed.

“Nothing much, let me shut down then I will be right over.” She turned off her computer and she sat down beside me. “Mom thanks for everything, you do so much for me. I appreciate you letting the Biscotti’s over. I love you mom.”

“I love you too,” I got up and pulled her into a hug.


-------------------
What did you think? Comments, followers are much appreciated ^-^
Oh and I hope you liked my version to twas the night before Christmas ^-^ It was really hard coming up with the lines, to fit the story....
~Kami <3

1 comment:

  1. I loved the 'Twas the Night... poem that you intertwined! Made it so holiday-y :D And Oh MAN the suspense!

    ReplyDelete