Friday, January 7, 2011

Lemon-Berry:: Chapter 12





Swirl, Mango and Lace were pretty excited to get their birthday going. The girls blew out their candles, and transformed into gorgeous little rascals. Spring cheered, and hollered and along her side was Frazzle doing the exact same. I have a feeling that this day is going to go very well.


Frazzle ran up to the girls, and gave them each a big hug. Mandarin thought this was just the sweetest thing, but I knew something was up...this was very unusual because never did he hug Spring.
“I love my sisters sooo much!” he said as he hugged Mango, “except Spring,” he said under his breath. I didn’t want to create a scene in front of all of them so I called Frazzle over.

“Frazzle come here for a second will you?”


“You wanted to see me mom?” he said coolly like as if he did nothing wrong.

“Young man tell me what did you say over there about Spring!”

“Nothing,” he rolled his eyes and shoved his hands into his pockets.

“Don’t lie to me Frazzle!” I put my hands on my hips, “you said you love your sisters, then under your breath you said except Spring. And I want to know why! What did she do to you?”

“Spring isn’t my sister!” he screamed at me and ran away. My heart felt like it was being torn apart. Did he know?





Spring was sitting down and eating some birthday cake and Frazzle took his plate and sat beside her.
“Spring why are you green?” he asked.

“I don’t know...why are you blue?” she shot back.

“I’m blue because mom is blue, Swirl and Lace are blue because mom is blue, and Mango is orange because dad is orange, but we don’t know what’s wrong with you. So I thought you knew the answer.”

“Well obviously I don’t! Maybe I inherited one of our grandma’s colors. Now could you please shut up!”

“I think something’s wrong with you Spring. I think you’re adopted.” Spring turned red.

“I’m not adopted you big eared freak! Leave me alone!” she bolted out of the room and down the stairs.






“Frazzle what’s gotten into you!” Mandarin shouted.

“Why don’t you ask mom!” he hissed. My cheeks started to get really hot.

“Frazzle what is wrong with you!” I shouted.

“Mom! What is wrong with you! I know Spring isn’t my real sister. I know she has a different dad! I know her dad is Wafer, and that Kristi and Spring are half sisters. Face it mom the jig is up!”

“Excuse me?” I crossed my arms and stared him down. He must’ve overheard Ginger and I talking yesterday.

“No mom excuse me!” he left the room and went out the front door.

“Are you going to be ok Lemon?” Mandarin put his hand on my shoulder.

 “I need to talk to Spring...I think it’s time.”







I opened the door to her room and she sit there silently typing away on her computer. She didn’t say a word when I came in, so I thought I better start the conversation.
“Spring sweetheart, I think it’s time we talk.”

“Talk about what? We all know that I’m adopted!” she said coldly.

“You adopted? Spring you’re not adopted. When I look at you I see me, but in a different color.”

“See that’s what I don’t get! Why am I green, and not blue or orange! Was grandma green? Was grandpa green? Why am I green!?”

“Come here Spring I think it would be best, if you faced me for this.” She walked over to me and hugged my tightly.

“Mom what’s wrong with me!” she cried.

“Spring once upon a time...I went to a party with Tangerine, and he and I danced and had fun. Later that night he kissed me, and I freaked out on him. I ran away to the beach and that’s where I met your dad...Wafer,” she hugged me more tightly, “we talked on that beach practically all night, and he dropped me off at home, and stayed the night over...the next morning he was gone, and I thought I’d see him again. Days passed by and I started to feel sick, and I knew that I was pregnant. I was scared and excited. I thought that you being born could glue Wafer and I forever. Tangerine had come over the day I found out I was pregnant and he told me to come to the beach with him. I knew I couldn’t stay mad at him forever so I went. Little did I know that Wafer was there, and he was kissing Cotton so passionately and I couldn’t stand it. We had an ugly break- up and I was left alone with you. Then I met Mandarin and I fell in love all over again, but I knew he was the one. He promised that he would take care of you as if you were his own. Baby Mandarin and I love you so much, and I guess Frazzle found out yesterday. So he overreacted.”





Spring let me go and looked me straight in the eyes, “I can’t believe you! I can’t believe you never told me! How could you? All these years I thought I was just some freak in the house! I thought I never even belonged to you! Do you know how that feels? Did you know how it felt when the triplets were born, and I was praying that one of them would be green like me, so I could prove to myself that I’m not a freak! No, none of them were green they were all blue and orange like you and your happy family, which I am not a part of!” she yelled at me and ran out of the room.


I heard Mandarin trying to stop here, and then a door slammed I knew she was out of the house by now. Who knows where she went.
Good job Lemon-Berry you just tore your family apart.

I walked up the stairs one step at a time, and every time I stepped on to one and image of Wafer and Spring flashed before my face. What have I done? I knew I should have told her earlier, but I didn’t because I was afraid of this. And this happened!
“Where are the girls?” I asked Mandarin.
“They are trying to get Frazzle down from the play set.”
“I’m sorry Mandarin! I’m sorry I put you in the middle of this! I didn’t mean to, I thought this was the right time, but there is no right time. Mandarin we should go look for her. Bring my baby back home please!” I couldn’t control myself I knew I couldn’t.
“Shhh...babe I don’t hate you. I knew this was going to happen one day or another. I know how Spring feels right now. Instead of me being a half-kid I was adopted, and I felt always so left out, though I toughened it out in the end. I told myself that things will get better. I ran away so many times when I was her age, but in the end I always came back.”
“I’m sorry...” I buried my face into his chest, and he stroked my hair gently.






Hours had passed and Spring still hadn’t come home. Mandarin told me that if she doesn’t return in an hour we will go looking for her. In the mean time I was freaking out and crying uncontrollably. Mandarin made me some soup, and I slurped it down.
“MOM! MOM!” the girls shouted, “Frazzle came down!” I walked into the dining room and saw his head poking from my lawn chair. I knew I had to talk to him, he must be frightened after the day we had. Mandarin told me he explained the whole thing to the girls, and he told me that I should talk to Frazzle.
“Frazzle...my little man...I need to talk to you.”
“What do you want! I know I am in big trouble, I’m probably grounded until I’m eighteen,” he mumbled.
“No sweet heart you aren’t grounded. I just need to talk to you,” he got up from his chair and walked right over to me.

I hugged Frazzle tightly, “I’m so sorry baby, I’m sorry you had to find out like that. What you did was wrong, but it helped me reveal the truth. Thank you.”
“You’re thanking me! Mom...don’t, if you thank me then this will haunt me forever. What I did was wrong. I should not have treated her like an outsider today. It was terribly wrong of me, and I’m sorry. I’m sorry mom, and mom I love you.” He squeezed me tightly.
At least I got one situation solved.
“Lemon  come to the living room please!” Mandarin called.

Spring was sitting on the couch trying not to make eye contact with Mandarin and I.
“Spring, I’m sorry. Baby please don’t run away from us like that! You scared us!”
“Listen mom, I’m sorry. When I ran away I thought about it all, and I have decided that I want to move in with my real dad.” Those words cut through me like a blade.
“But h—“
“Mom listen, I can’t live here anymore because I haven’t got the chance to spend time with my dad. I know he loves me and cares about me, so now if you excuse me Kristi is waiting for me outside.”
“Don’t go....” I reached out towards her but it was too late, she was already out the door.

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh! Spring! Don't go! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. :O No no no! :( Aww mann poor Spring. She has no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( :( Teens and their rash decisions D:

    She will learn though.... right? :o

    ReplyDelete
  4. We shall see, I might post the next chappie tonight <3

    ReplyDelete